wedding vendor language

It’s true! Event professionals have their own special language. Acronyms and special words that mean something to us. It’s just like any other industry. We try to use normal language when clients so they aren’t confused. So if you’ve heard a few of these words or abbreviations, here it goes:


Stands for: Banquet Event Order. Your venue or caterer will deliver a BEO to you before your event. You must read carefully over this document before signing it. It is basically everything that will happen at your event.


Stands for: Food and Beverage. Because if you work in catering, clearly you are too exhausted to say all three words.


Stands for: Save the Date. Did you think it was something else? (And the twelve-year-old girl in me still giggles when I use it).


Stands for: Request for Proposal. Actually, this is a typical business term.


It’s a decorative plate that is at your place setting before dinner service begins. The catering staff will serve your salad and/or entree and place on top of the charger.

high tops

Gathering tables, Tall Boys, and more … these are smaller tables that are tall. They’re placed strategically in areas for guests to rest and put their glasses/appetizers on.

clear mid or span

This is tent talk: you can upgrade the roof of your tent to have a clear vinyl. It’s like a moonroof to your tent.


I actually had a groom ask me what that is. It’s the tablecloth/fabric that goes on tables. Easy, right?

banquet table

Nonwedding professionals may refer to this table as, “rectangle tables”. The correct term is “banquet”.

60″ or 72″ rounds

The round guest tables that are traditionally used at banquets/receptions. The difference is the size. A 60″ round (or 5′ round) will seat 8 guests comfortably. A 72″ round (or 6′ round) will seat 10 people comfortably.

ghost chairs

Clear acrylic chairs, very modern.


Easy for you to spell. These are chairs that have “bamboo” like legs and backing. It’s the chairs you see in every Pinterest board.


You know the lit monogram you see on a dance floor or wall? Or a lighted pattern on the ceiling? That’s made from a custom gobo (light). The actual gobo is a thin metal insert that has the diagram cut into it.

pin spot

Ever see a wedding cake or a centerpiece that looks like it has a mini spotlight on it? That’s a pin spot.


This is not a bunch of workers holding signs and standing on the curb. It simply refers to the act of loading out at the end of the evening.

There’s so much more to list, but this was a good start. Wedding professionals, what did I miss? Please leave a comment!

feature photo credit: pfe iphone

plan on!

2 thoughts on “wedding vendor language”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top