Update: even though I wrote this blog post in 2013, everything STILL APPLIES to today, 2021.
Congratulations on your engagement! This is such an exciting time for you. Trust me when I tell you the only other time in your life where you will receive such joy and attention will be when you have your first child. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
The immediate reaction to getting engaged is to text thirty of your besties to let them know the good news and to start shopping for your dress!
Whoa! I would suggest the following (and this advice will be brief):
1. Discuss your wedding spending plan. Where will the money come from? Are both sets of parents helping? Please don’t book vendors until you know this magic number.
2. Start a rough guest list. There will be four lists: bride, groom, bride’s family, and groom’s family. This will give you a general idea of the number of potential guests you may need to accommodate before you start shopping for a ceremony and reception venue.
3. Set a date, but keep it flexible if possible. If you don’t have your heart set on a particular date then you will be open to more possibilities for securing a location.
4. Talk to each other and openly discuss your wedding. What’s the style you want to have? What do you want your guests to experience? What are the top three things that are important to each of you? Both of you speak up and be honest with each other. You both want to feel comfortable with the choices that you will be making as you move forward.
5. Make an appointment with a wedding planner. I know this sounds self-indulgent … but really, this is the best time if you are going to hire a wedding planner. Starting from the beginning and using the experience and knowledge that a planner brings to the table will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Again congrats! We are so very happy for you and your journey to begin your lives together. Yes, we love weddings.
ps Call us, maybe? (812) 518-0094 or staff (at) planningforever.com
1 thought on “you are engaged! what is your next step to planning your wedding”
This is a great list!